Friday, May 29, 2009

Blue Rowe... A True American Hero.

This is a story that hits close to home, It is about the loss of a True Hero. His name is Blue Rowe, And he is the nephew of my best friend Ron Sligar. As a lot of you know I have a son who is serving in Iraq, Pvt 1st Class Justin McFadin. So any news such as this is felt deeply by myself as I'm sure it is by many. My heart felt condolences and best wishes go out to all of Blue's family.

If there are any other items that come to me about Blue's story I will gladly post them here, I feel it's the least I can do.

AP/STEVE RUARK Gen. Norton A. Schwartz, Air Force chief of staff, stands Thursday at Dover Air Force Base, Del., near the remains of Army 1st Sgt. Blue C. Rowe (left) of Summers and Senior Airman Ashton Lynn Marie Goodman of Indianapolis. Both were killed Tuesday in Afghanistan.

A soldier from Northwest Arkansas was among three U.S. troops killed Tuesday by a suicide bomber in Afghanistan, the Pentagon said Thursday.

Army 1st Sgt. Blue Charles Rowe was originally from the Summers community in western Washington County and attended Siloam Springs High School. He lived in the Los Angeles suburb of Whittier, Calif., and was assigned to the 426th Civl Affairs Battalion, Company D, Airborne Special Operations, based at Upland, Calif.

Tuesday's attack also killed three Afghan civilians.

"He's a hero now," said Curley Rowe, 35, a Westville, Okla., resident and Blue Rowe's brother. "I just feel for my brother's

family. I feel for his child."

Glenda Rowe, their mother, was notified of her 33-year-old son's death late Tuesday.

Among Glenda Rowe's four children, Blue is the third to have died at a young age. A 31-yearold daughter and a 30-year-old daughter died in a 2002 car accident, which also claimed a 13-month-old grandson.

"God helps me cope," Glenda Rowe said. "If it wasn't for that, I couldn't do it. That's all I know to say."

"I thought, this can't be so," Curley Rowe said. "It's like when I first heard about my sisters. It takes you back. You relive it all."

Rowe's funeral services are pending.

Rowe served in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom for a year, beginning in September 2004.

His 15-month tour in Afghanistan started in July, and he was due home for a 30-day leave next month.

Family and friends said Rowe was 100 percent Arkansan, playing defensive end on the Siloam Springs High School football team and running on its trackand-field team.

"He was an all-around athlete who had his hand in a lot of sports," said Steve Avery, a former Siloam Springs football coach. "Blue was always looking for a direction with his life, and when I found out that he chose the military as a career, I knew it was a great fit for him. He overcame a lot to become the man he was."

Rowe, who was named after his great-uncle, was a University of Arkansas football fan. He wore Razorback shirts even while stationed in California.

"He lives and breathes all things Razorbacks," family friend Vera Sligar said.

Rowe headed to Army boot camp in 1994, immediately after high school. He served as a military policeman in South Korea, Germany and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

In 1999, he married the former Cindy Ellis. Their son Andrew is 8.

Westville resident Rena Dixon, a classmate who grew up seven houses down from the Rowes' home in Siloam Springs, learned of her friend's death Thursday. She said members of their high school class, who are planning a reunion next month, will discuss raising money for a scholarship in his honor.

"Everybody knew him because his name was so unusual," Dixon said. "He never had an enemy. He'd do anything for you."

Seventy-seven soldiers with Arkansas roots have died in the United States' wars in Iraq and Afghanistan; 70 in Iraq and seven in Afghanistan. Sixty of the deaths resulted from enemy fire, 16 from noncombat situations and one because of friendly fire.

A complete list of Arkansasrelated war deaths can be found at www2.arkansasonline. com/warcasualties/.

Information for this article was contributed by Gary Burton of the Siloam Springs Herald-Leader.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Governor Schwarzenegger Issues Statement on Death of Upland Soldier

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today issued the following statement regarding the death of Army 1st Sgt. Blue C. Rowe of Summers, Ark.:

“Army First Sergeant Blue Rowe was a true patriot who sacrificed his life to uphold the freedoms that are held dear in this country. He fought proudly and courageously and Maria and I are grateful for his service. On behalf of all Californians, we send our thoughts and prayers to Blue’s family and friends during this difficult time.”

Rowe, 33, died May 26 in Panjshir Province, Afghanistan, when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. Rowe was assigned to the 426th Civil Affairs Battalion, U.S. Army, Upland, CA.

In honor of Army 1st Sgt. Rowe, Capitol flags will be flown at half-staff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a couple of news storys on Blue.http://www.kfsm.com/news/kfsm-news-nwa-blue-rowe-army-killed-cincinnati,0,5914835.story

http://www.4029tv.com/news/19592735/detail.html

15 comments:

  1. I am Cindy Rowe's cousin from california and we all loved Blue very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I AM BLUE'S BROTHER-IN-LAW MARRIED TO HIS WIFE'S SISTER. WE ALL LOVED BLUE AND WILL MISS HIM GREATLY( ESPECIALLY HIS SOUTHERN HUMOR). I AM A DEPUTY IN CALIFORNIA AND THERE IS A SAYING WE HAVE. BLUE IS NOT A HERO BECAUSE HE DIED OR HOW HE DIED, BUT IS LABELED A "HERO" BECAUSE OF HOW HE LIVED HIS LIFE.
    REST IN PEACE BLUE I'LL SEE YOU AGAIN ONE DAY AND WATCH ARKANSAS FOOTBALL FROM ABOVE.....GO HOGGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Master sgt Blue Rowe is an hero to us all, I have the pleasure of helping him build the home for his family. He was a very humble man always had kind words for everyone. I will miss his face on the computer as he would talk with his wife Cindy and son. You will be miss master sgt Blue Rowe. We love you for making this world a better place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue was my team leader in Iraq and a close friend. The news has been devastating, adding to the loss of our fellow teammate Fred Duebbers two years earlier. My deepest condolensces to Blue's family. Blue was one of the most impressive soldiers I ever served with and he will be missed beyond measure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blue was one of my security counterparts at Northrop Grumman. Although we didn't work in the same office, he was there to help me when called upon. Blue was a top notch man. I can't express how much I enjoyed talking to him and working with him. He was always polite and a true southern gentleman. There are not many like him in our world today. Blue's family is in my thoughts and prayers. We will miss him so much. Blue's spirit is with us and he will never be forgotten. Rest in peace Blue. We'll meet again on the other side. -- Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Mary Burton, wife of Gary Burton, editor of the Herald Leader in Siloam Springs that put together that article.
    Please accept our deepest condolences to the family. It seems as though a wonderful man, soldier, father, and brother was lost.
    If there are any family members who would like print copies of the newspaper that article appeared in, please let me know b replying on here. I would be glad to mail them out to you all.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blue was my team leader in Iraq in 2004 and 2005, as well as my mentor and the person I looked up to during my entire time in the Army. He was an outstanding leader and a true friend for a great many people. I will deeply miss him and I pray for his family. It is impossible for me to imagine a world without Blue in it, because there was no finer human being.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I transitioned with Blue in Afghanistan. He was an outstanding leader and was quite possibly one of the best Civil Affairs NCOs I have ever worked with. The Panjshir PRT 08 team greives with all who feel this loss. Blue was a hero, he was a hero before this tragic attack and he will always be so

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the pleasure of working with Blue at Northrop Grumman in California for almost two years. Like everybody has said, Blue would always greet you with a hello and a smile every time you saw him. It was truly my pleasure to have known Blue and worked with him at NGST and the fact that I'm from Alabama and a Crimson Tide fan, even made our relationship closer, especially when Bama was playing the Hog's.

    I'm adding a webpage for you to all look at from a Los Angelas news station showing Cindy and Andrew talking about Blue.

    http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=6845373

    God Bless You Blue!

    Jeff Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too had the honor to serve with Blue in Iraq in 2004-2005. Blue was the kind of guy who had total control of his emotions and was a true southern gentleman. He loved a good joke and was an excellent soldier. He was a stand up kind of guy one that all of us wished we could be. Now that he is gone maybe we can try to follow his example. Blue left us all with that impression of a man with dedication and devotion to doing the right thing. Cindy and Family my deepest sympathies. The Troll

    ReplyDelete
  11. Throughout my career in the Army, I have met some awesome people. Whether it's on a deployment or a 2 week school in some desolate place like Fort Hunter Legitt. Most of the time, you meet these remarkable people, maybe exchange emails or phone numbers, and never see the person again. It was like that with Blue and I until we crossed paths again last year in Reno. It was good to see him, hang out with the wives, and talk about meeting up in Cali after our deployments. He is the type of friend where you not only talk about meeting up again, but you do it because he's worth it. My wife and I will miss you, we truly lost a good a friend. Cindy and Andrew, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Blue, it was an honor serving with you and more of an honor to be your friend. We'll meet again brother.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MSG Rowe had a profound affect on my life. This deployment, he pushed all of his soldiers to become the NCO's that they never thought they could be. He succeeded in getting all six of his soldiers promoted, but more importantly, mentored and set an excellent example for them. Blue Rowe, you will be missed by the PRT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blue Rowe was a true "Blue" hero! I knew him only for a brief time. He would bring his son Andrew into daycare before school started during his kinder and 1st grade years at the school where I worked. He was an honorable,gentle,awesome young man. I am so thankful that we crossed paths. He left such an impression on my heart. I feel that the Lord touched my like with HIS grace through Blue! He made it a point to stay after school many days to throw a football or shoot hoops with Andrew. His love for his family was so clearly evident. Cindy and Andrew you are greatly loved!!!!! I know that only the Lord can mend your broken hearts! You and all of Blue's loved ones are in our prayers. Blue is resting and rejoicing around the throne of God!! Now that's some real R&R! I pray that the loving-kindness of the LOrd will surround each of you daily. And, that God's word will be a soft pillow where you can lay your weary heads and find peace. Blue is safe in the arms of the Father!!!!!!!!May the Lord comfort your hurt and be your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was looking forward to seeing 1SG Rowe's friendly face back at the unit. God had other plans... he will be missed and D CO will never be the same without him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My name Is Haitham Babiry and I am an Iraqi Kurdish citizen.I served 1SG Blue Rowe as his translater during his year service in Iraq specifically in my City Dohuk.My eyes teared when I heard from one of my freinds that Blue has lost his life in Afganistan.I couldn't beleive it and I didn't want to beleive because he was not just a team leader but he was just like my brother for me.He did his best to help Kurdish people as much as he could.There are not enough words to dicribe Blue Rowe.He was aleader, Hero and over all best freind.
    Blue you will be missed but will be remembered always.

    ReplyDelete